Sunday, February 3, 2008

2-3-08 - Book # 34

Today was fast Sunday, and it was my day to teach again. It was an AMAZING lesson. I loved it. We learned about 1 Nephi 16-18. Everyone was super talkative, I think it was because they were fasting. We learned about trying to become more like Nephi and about the difference between worldly and Godly sorrow. One of the cool little testimony builders about the Book of Mormon I learned while preparing the talk, Nephi when he broke his steel bow, he made another bow out of wood AND an arrow. Why did he make another arrow? Why couldn't he have used his arrows from the steel bow he had? The reason was because the steel bow doesn't have to be pulled back as far, so the arrows are shorter. If he would have used the same arrows, he wouldn't have been able to pull back his wooden bow as far as possible to get the maximum amount of speed out of the arrow. So he had to make new longer arrows out of wood so he could get full extension and full speed. There is no way Joseph Smith could have known that fact when he was translating the book. So it MUST be true. Anyways, tonight I took the book to my one of my other neighbors who have not received the book yet. It was my new neighbor who moved in a little over a month ago. I hadn't been over to say hi yet, and I got home a little early from family dinner and decided it would be a good time to go over and introduce myself and share the gospel with her. It was a little weird, mostly because she was on the phone when she answered the door. I tried making small talk and to tell her a little bit about me but it was like she was just backing up. So I asked her if she was religious, and she said it depends on which one, so I told her I was LDS and that I wanted to share a book with her. She opened the screen door just enough for me to slide the book in to her. I told her it was nice to meet her and she went back inside. Interesting, but now I have a foot in the door and once she gets to know me a little better, we'll look back on this day and laugh.

No comments: